Through the support of the Volunteer Generation Fund (VGF) since 2010, the Massachusetts Service Alliance has successfully leveraged thousands of volunteers by supporting volunteer opportunities in Massachusetts. MSA is undertaking a comprehensive approach that will enhance and build upon past VGF efforts to build the capacity of organizations in the Commonwealth to more effectively engage volunteers. MSA supports the volunteer sector through:
- Service Enterprise Initiative: a Service Enterprise is an organization that leverages volunteers and their skills to successfully deliver on the social mission of the organization. The Service Enterprise Initiative is a comprehensive package of evaluation, over 20 hours of training, individualized coaching and a nationally recognized certification.
- National Days of Service grants (MLK Day and National Volunteer Week)
- Youth Development Volunteer Initiative (grants to nonprofits to better engage volunteers in youth development programming)
- MA Conference on Service & Volunteerism (next conference Spring 2019!)
- Fall and Spring Trainings on effective volunteer management practices
With support of the VGF grant we anticipate 24,000 community volunteers will be managed and will serve 144,000 hours of service over the course of three years.